Cricket Ireland Structure
Cricket Ireland is the National Governing Body for the Sport for the island of Ireland. It is responsible for setting the strategic direction and the administration of cricket in the island of Ireland. There are also five provincial unions who have responsibility for the game in their respective regions.
The following diagram provides an overview of the Board structure of Cricket Ireland.
Board and Committees
Cricket Ireland’s Board has 12 Directors, five of which are independent. Supporting the Board are three committees with specific responsibilities - the Cricket Committee, Finance Committee and High Performance Committee.
|Cricket Ireland Board - Responsibilities
The Board meets regularly so as to provide strategic leadership to the Company, exercise effective control over the organisation, and monitor executive management and performance. The Board is wholly non-executive and comprises nominees of the constituent Unions and “independent” Directors.The primary responsibility of all Directors is to act in the best overall interest of Cricket Ireland at all times – it is appropriate to recognise, however, the particular importance of the contribution of the “independent” Directors in this area. Specific responsibilities of the Board are:
- To provide vision, leadership and direction for the Company, normally through the consideration and approval of Strategic Plans
- In this context, to define the Company’s mission, decide its strategic goals and approve policies to achieve those goals
- To ensure that the Company is well managed and that a proper balance is maintained between the respective roles of Board and Management
- To set performance targets and, in particular, to approve and monitor the Annual Operating Plan and Budget
- To ensure that the Company behaves ethically and in a manner that accords with its core values as determined in the Strategic Plan
- To define and promote the Company’s role in the community by consulting its stakeholders and informing the public in an open accountable manner
- To agree the Chief Executive’s performance objectives in consultation with him
|Board Members 2019
The current members of the Cricket Ireland Board are as follows:
- Ross McCollum (Chairman; joined 2010)
- Susan Ahern (Independent Director; joined 2019)
- Samuel Beckett (Delegate Northern Cricket Union; joined 2017)
- Bill Cunningham (Independent Director; joined 2015)
- Derek Dockrell (Delegate Cricket Leinster; joined 2016)
- Brian Dougherty (Delegate North West Cricket Union; joined 2019)
- David Griffin (Delegate Munster Cricket Union; joined 2017)
- John Heavey (Delegate Northern Cricket Union; joined 2019)
- Michael Howard (Independent Director; joined 2017)
- Mark Jones (Delegate Cricket Leinster; joined 2019)
- Greg Molins (Independent Director; joined 2018)
- Anne Nolan (Independent Director; joined 2016)
The current members of this committee are: Andrew Fleming – Chairman; Michael Hickey; Paul Reynolds; Alan Waite; Joe Doherty; Paul Smyth, Kevin Gallagher.
The functions of the Cricket Committee are as follows:
- To assist management in the delivery of the operational product of Irish cricket.
- Performance management overview of the progress within Irish cricket at the various levels and sectors of activity for which the Union and its subordinate committeess takes responsibility
- The Cricket Committee may commission or recommend activity to Management/the Board in the furtherance of its aims. The commissioning of activity should be followed by consultation with Management on the financial implication of any decision.
- The Cricket Committee shall carry out any work which is delegated to it by the board
- The Cricket Committee may establish its own sub-committees in any area which it deems to be relevant for any specific work (grounds, youth, womens etc)
- The Cricket Committee shall approve the appointment of Coaches and Managers to all International squads other than the Senior Men’s Squad.
- The Cricket Committee shall be responsible for all arrangements associated with the running of Irish Senior Cup, the National Cup and the All-Ireland T20 Cup
The current members of this committee are: The current members of this committee are: Bill Cunningham (Chair), Peter McCartney, Cillian McCarthy, David Brennan, Richard Johnson, Dr Murray Power, Phillip Black, Bryan O’Donnell.
The Finance Committee is responsible for the following tasks:
- Consider the financial results and the performance to budget on a regular basis
- Review future budgets prior to submission to the Board and will recommend acceptance or otherwise to the Board
- Consult with management and review the preparation of a long-term financial forecast and plan for submission to the Board when appropriate
- Make recommendations on the annual audited accounts to the Board
- Approve financial policy and protocols
- Make recommendations to the Board on specific financial matters including, but not limited to:
- the desired level of reserves;
- placing money on deposit;
- appropriate investment strategy;
- the movement of money between currencies;
- the Company’s tax position, with a specific regard to maximising the Company’s tax efficiency
- Where directed by the Board, review and consider new business initiatives that might impact upon the Company’s finances
- Make recommendations to the Board about securing loans from the appropriate bodies
- Recommend the Company’s auditors to the Board
- Setting delegated authorities and limits, and establishing holders of company credit cards
- Consider any matters deemed relevant raised by the Board or by management
|High Performance Committee|
The current members of this committee are: The current members of this committee are: Gary Keegan – Chairman; Frank Sowman; Greg Molins; Jo Hopkins; Kyle McCallan; Richard Holdsworth.
The functions of the High Performance Committee are as follows:
- Oversee and advise on the execution of the men’s and women’s high performance strategy and related budgets; including business cases for investment from relevant organisations (e.g. SI, SNI, ICC) and review of HP policies and procedures (e.g. selection; discipline; code of conduct)
- Advise on sports science, medical and life-skills support services and systems for the various men’s and women’s high performance environments.
- Advise on any related sub-strategies within men’s and women’s high performance e.g. Academy; Talent ID etc.
- Advise on competition programmes, associated training and preparation programmes, coach and player development support for: Men’s and Women’s Senior; National Academy; Inter-Provincial; Women’s Super 3’s; International boys and girls youth squads.
- Advise on the appointment of high performance personnel and, as/if required, sit on shortlisting and/or interview panels
- Advise on the appointment of independent experts to review the high performance programme or key components of the system when required
- Provide an oversight role regarding the implementation of recommendations arising out of any review related to the high performance programme
Other Roles, Sub-Committees and Working Groups
||Barry Keane (Chair), Neale Matthews, Barry Collins, David Pigott, Andrew Babington, George Brolly. Appeals Commissioners – Brian Turtle, David Enser.
||Ross McCollum (Chair), Bill Cunningham.
||Joe Doherty (Chair), Chairman Ross McCollum, David O’Connor (as President-elect), Murray Power (as Company Secretary), Brian Turtle (as former Independent Director), Joe Doherty (as former President/Chairman), Warren Deutrom (as CEO and minutes secretary).
|| Eddie Lewis – Chairman; Richard Holdsworth; Dennis Cousins; David Griffin; Peter McCartney; Angela Platt; Paul Reynolds.
||Richard Holdsworth (Chairman); Derek Dockrell; Philip Smith; Alan Waite; Angela Platt; Andrew Fleming; Peter McCartney; David Griffin.