Ireland Wolves: Pre-Series Press Conference
COLOMBO – A pre-series press conference was held today ahead the of the Ireland Wolves v Sri Lanka A series in Sri Lanka, starting Saturday 5 January 2019.
Attending the press conference were:
• Harry Tector, Ireland Wolves Captain
• Pete Johnston, Ireland Wolves Head Coach
• Ashan Priyanjan, Sri Lanka A Captain
• Avishka Gunawardene, Sri Lanka A Head Coach
The following were quotes from the Ireland Wolves captain and coach.
Harry Tector said in introductory remarks:
“We’re very much looking forward to starting off a competitive series against Sri Lanka A. We’re getting used to conditions by now and looking towards a good competitive game against Sri Lanka A in the four-dayer coming up. Hopefully we’ll also get to see a bit of what Sri Lanka has to offer as it seems a beautiful country.”
Pete Johnston said in response to questions about the make-up of the squad:
“It’s been a quick turnaround, it’s our fourth day here. We’ve had one practice session, then a two-day practice game - so we’ve had to acclimatise quickly and land on our feet.”
“Experience-wise, we’ve got a few guys - Craig Young, Barry McCarthy and James Shannon - that have senior international experience. Then we have some young guys as well, including a couple of 18-year olds. Also Harry here who has come through our Under-19s squad and did well at the last [Under-19] World Cup.”
“We’ve got a good mixture in the squad, but for a lot of guys it will be the first experience in subcontinent conditions, so we’ll be looking to learn as much as we can, as quick as we can. We hope to go on an upward curve and by the end of this tour finish in a strong position.”
“We’ve three spinners here - JJ Garth, a leg-spinner, Harry Tector, an off-spinner, and James Cameron-Dow, a left-arm spinner. We’ve also got Gareth Delany coming out who is a leg-spinner and opening batter. So we’ve a good balance with four seamers, three spinners and a couple of all-rounders in the squad.”
Image: (L to R) Pete Johnston, Harry Tector, Ashan Priyanjan and Avishka Gunawardene
The first four-day match between Ireland Wolves and Sri Lanka A will be held at the Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo on Saturday – a ground which recently hosted a Sri Lanka v England Test match.
This morning it was advised that Jack Tector will leave the tour early after picking up an injury, with Gareth Delany joining the squad early as cover (more here).
About the Ireland Wolves
The Ireland Wolves team was created in 2017 to bridge the gap between domestic first class and international cricket. The squad recently completed an eight-match series against Bangladesh A in Ireland, which followed on from a tour to Bangladesh made by the Wolves in 2017.
Ireland Wolves tour schedule
• 1 January 2019 - Two-day warm-up match (MCG Katunayake) – completed (scorecard)
• 5 January 2019 - 1st Four-day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
• 13 January 2019 - 2nd Four-day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
• 19 January 2019 - 1st One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
• 21 January 2019 - 2nd One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (MRICS - Hambantota)
• 24 January 2019 - 3rd One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
• 26 January 2019 - 4th One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (SSC Colombo)
• 29 January 2019 - 5th One-Day match v Sri Lanka A (RPICS - Colombo)
• 30 January 2019 - Ireland Wolves depart