Overseas Club and Player Endorsements
This page provides a brief explanation of what endorsement requirements apply in respect of the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) and/or Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) Creative and Sporting categories of the points-based system.
The International Sportsperson (Long Term) category is for elite sportspeople, coaches and performance analysts who are internationally established at the highest level and whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK, and who will base themselves in the UK; and the post cannot be filled by a suitable settled worker.
The International Sportsperson (Short Term) category is for sportspeople (and their entourage where appropriate), coaches and performance analysts who are internationally established at the highest level in their sport, and/or will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport in the UK.
The application process explained: migrants applying to come to the UK under either of the sporting categories above need to be sponsored by an organisation that has a sponsor licence under International Sportsperson (Long Term) or International Sportsperson (Short Term).
If you wish to sponsor such migrants, you must have a sponsor licence. Before you apply to the Home Office for a licence you must be endorsed by CRICKET IRELAND.
This endorsement confirms to the Home Office that the application for a licence is from a genuine sports club (or equivalent) that has a legitimate requirement to bring migrants to the UK as sportspeople. Once licensed, you can assign certificates of sponsorship to a sportsperson or coach with a job offer that allows them to apply for leave to enter or remain in the UK.
Each individual must also have a personal endorsement from CRICKET IRELAND before you assign the certificate of sponsorship.
Please see the following attached documents for further information or contact your home Provincial Union who will assist in your application process to Cricket Ireland and the UK Home Office.
• Step-by-step Guide: Employing Overseas Players/Coaches to Non-First Class Clubs
• Immigration Rules Relating to Overseas Sportspersons - 2021 update
• Annex B: International Sportsperson (Short Term) sponsor licence governing body endorsement application
• Annex D: International Sportsperson (Short Term) individual migrant Governing Body Endorsement application – non first class cricket player/coach only
• Annex E: International Sports Person (Short Term) individual migrant Governing Body Endorsement application form - full-time coach only
• Annex F: Details of matches played