Ireland Women’s squad announced for West Indies series
DUBLIN – Cricket Ireland has today announced a 13-player squad for the upcoming Ireland v West Indies Women’s T20 International series in late May.
The West Indies Women’s team are fourth in the world T20I rankings, while Ireland is ranked 10th.
The two sides will meet for three matches:
• 26 May 2019 at YMCA Cricket Club in Dublin (start time: 2pm)
• 28 May 2019 at Pembroke Cricket Club in Dublin (start time: 4pm)
• 29 May 2019 at Pembroke Cricket Club in Dublin (start time: 4pm)
There is free entry into all games.
The squad for the series is:
Laura Delany (Captain), Kim Garth, Shauna Kavanagh, Gaby Lewis, Louise Little, Sophie MacMahon, Lara Maritz, Naomi Matthews, Leah Paul, Celeste Raack, Una Raymond-Hoey, Rebecca Stokell, Mary Waldron.
Ireland Women’s Head Coach Aaron Hamilton said:
“2019 is both an exciting year for women’s cricket, and – in a sense – the beginning of a new journey for the international squad. At the back end of 2018 we lost around 600-caps worth of experience with the retirement of four senior players, and with Lucy O’Reilly taking a break from the game, this has opened up opportunities for younger players to step up and take their chance on the international stage. Combined with the new player contracts, the international season will certainly take on a sense of the new.”
“The players have trained hard over the winter months, and it will be good to get out on the field and taking on one of the world’s top teams here in Ireland.”
“The senior squad selected for the West Indies series is one which blends experienced players with some of the best emerging talent we have, with the likes of Louise Little and Leah Paul impressing in the Academy and Super 3s, and Naomi Matthews integrated into the senior performance set-up for the first time.”
“With a T20 World Cup Qualifier campaign approaching in August, these matches against West Indies are an ideal start to a big season ahead for the squad.”
2019 Fixtures for Ireland Women
The confirmed fixture calendar for 2019 is:
• 26 May: Ireland Women v West Indies Women (YMCA CC, Dublin); T20I
• 28 May: Ireland Women v West Indies Women (Pembroke CC, Dublin); T20I
• 29 May: Ireland Women v West Indies Women (Pembroke CC, Dublin); T20I
• 3 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Oak Hill); 50-over
• 5 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Oak Hill); 50-over
• 7 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Oak Hill); 50-over
• 10 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Stormont); T20I*
• 12 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Bready CC); T20I*
• 14 July: Ireland Women v Zimbabwe Women (Bready CC); T20I*
* Matches will form part of three double-header events in conjunction with Ireland Men and Zimbabwe Men
In addition, the squad will play an as yet unannounced quadrangular tournament abroad, before heading to the Women’s T20 World Cup Qualifier in August/September in Scotland.
Cricket Ireland will be livestreaming all six T20Is played in the home fixture schedule in 2019. Details will be announced shortly.